My Adventures in Knitting, truly my Yarn-escape!

Monday, May 2, 2016

Monday Meme for May- Six Questions to Answer



I'm joining Irisheyesknitters   
for this First May Monday Meme:



Now for the Monday Meme:

* Do you follow any blogs that are not knit or crochet blogs?

*Do you wind your yarn into cakes or balls?

*What is the longest stretch you can recall not knitting?

*Do you bake or buy birthday cakes?

*Do you drink water every day?

*Have you given up on knitting a certain garment?

*For the terrifying question there are several parts:
Have you ever been:
stuck in an elevator?

lost on a hike?

run out of gas?

needed to have an emergency landing..??

************************

That's it for today!  See you in the answers!!
Can't wait!


  • I do follow other blogs that are Book themed because I love to read and knitting and reading are always linked for me.  I read a bit then knit- they both go hand in hand.  My blog today- Musing Monday in May follows the blog- Books and A Beat.  I follow Jenn's meme from Books and a Beat on Mondays, Tuesdays and I just started Fridays.  On Wednesdays I follow a combo Knitting and Book blog- Yarn Along where I post a picture of what I'm reading and knitting and a link to my blog.  Then I go and read all those wonderful posts from knitting-readers!  I find it fun to still having writing assignments and work on thoughtful responses about the books I read.  Use it or lose it becomes your motto when you get in your 50's!                                                           
  • I like to wind my balls- I like the quiet, rhythmic job of rolling a ball with the yarn coming out the middle.
  • I actually started knitting in college, pretty much segued to crocheting huge round afghans when the kids were growing up Kew Gardens Afghan (with a few knitting projects on the side like scarves) and picked knitting up again a few years ago when I was visiting with a knitting enthusiast and old friend back East.  She was working on an adorable hat called the Lucy Hat.  I started one when I got home, got hooked and realized this was it, I had found my passion!  
  • I bake my cakes, I worked with Chefs assisting cooking classes for 8 years, but I cheat- I like using The Cake Doctor Cookbook-  Spring Pound Cake and Decadent Chocolate Pound Cake  
  • I live in Colorado at over 6,000ft. and next to an arid semi-desert Plains to the East, so drinking water is essential.  You don't know dry till you hit the dry West!  Actually you're reminding me to behave!  I have an Chantal 15 Ounce Stainless Steel Travel Mug in Blue filled with ice water next to me at all times and I have no excuses, and we have awesome water off of Pikes Peak- the mountain behind me.  I sold this mug at Chefs Retail Store where I worked before the store was closed last year and I just love it- it keeps things cold or hot for over 8 hours.  
  • Tempted right now to rip something out and give up- but I won't! The Fearless Cardigan Frogged! and I actually ripped out a shawl I intended to make, but my oldest daughter had got bored and grabbed it and almost finished it years ago when she was in High School.  Now she's off to college back East, about to graduate and I ripped it out because I wanted the yarn and knew I'd never use it.  I kinda had to close my eyes to do it- groan.  But the poncho will be lovely- Technique Thursday- Doing up a Poncho and How To Follow a Knitting Pattern
  • Never stuck in an elevator, ran out of gas- many times close, but no emergency landings, but I have been stuck on a 14,000 ft mountain at Timberline (around 11,000ft.) with an injured friend and we should of done things differently- but at high altitude you really don't think straight.  We weren't lost on Pikes Peak but right before I found out I was pregnant (2 days before- I had a hard time getting pregnant and at 42 well one could only hope).  My friend pulled something in her thigh when we had hiked 3/4 of the way up and were resting at the timberline.  We- her fiance and I had to support her all the way down, hit the switchbacks towards the bottom, but still a ways to go (it's a 14,000 ft mountain and we live at 6,000, an 8,000 ft climb).  It was dark, we couldn't see ahead because of the glare for the city of Colorado Springs and I knew there were straight drop-offs on each side.  By then I was lame and scared.  Mountain lions and bears are common here.  My missionary friends were great- we prayed- a lot!  And Jon had had experience in the Himalayan Mts. as a Missionary- his expertise was essential as he held our hands and led us off the mountain.  My husband had Search & Rescue on the phone and they were about to be deployed for us (that takes a few hours).  Two days later I found out I was pregnant with my 3rd child, it took us 25 years to have three- the first 11 yrs. we were unable.
Have a good week!

No comments:

Post a Comment