My Adventures in Knitting, truly my Yarn-escape!

Monday, May 16, 2016

Musing Monday and Still "Submerged"

          
Musing Mondays is a weekly meme that asks you to choose one of the following prompts to answer:  
- I'm currently reading…
- Up next I think I’ll read…
- I bought the following book(s) in the past week…
- I'm super excited to tell you about (book/author/bookish-news)…
- I'm really upset by (book/author/bookish-news)…
- I can’t wait to get a copy of…
- I wish I could read ___, but…
- I blogged about ____ this past week…
This week's random question: What do you think is the most overrated book?
PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT with either the link to your own Musing Mondays post, or share your answer in a comment (if you don’t have a blog) at Books and a Beat Thanks!


"- I wish I could read ___, but…"
     "Outlander" but I seem to have gotten thoroughly ensconced in Submerged (Alaskan Courage) (Volume 1).  Which- obviously- I am enjoying.  "The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry" Robert Burns.  


 I want to get back to the world of Jamie and Claire and I've started watching the series with my husband on TV, except we're at a bit of a standstill there too because of Episode 7 (the wedding scene) I hear is too hot to handle and I don't want my 14 yr. old hanging around while we watch it.


  
So my intentions are one way and I keep on reading "Submerged" because once I start something I have a habit of wanting to just read that.  It's also on my Fire Tablet and that's a new thing for me.  I had sworn for years I would absolutely never touch one because I feared it would undermine the sale of good old fashion books and hurt authors.  But after having a conversation with a successfully published Romance writer (who happens to also be my banker), I realized, according to her, authors are still flourishing with ebook commerce and so I relented.  So I get free books on my tablet and I find I love listening to my spotify music and I read in the bathroom and there it goes, my intentions sliding down the hill.  And maybe, just maybe I shouldn't take what I read so seriously.  Because, yes Outlander I know I will get to you.  The book sits.  But I need to download it for my trip next week back East for my daughter's graduation and so.......why oh why do I have to take what is supposed to be fun so seriously?


What do you think is the most overrated book? 
Unfortunately all I can think of is the books I was required to read in High School, all those "classics" that I found so worthless and boring.  So are they?  Or is it the 40 some odd year memory of a teen's reaction to them?  I'm sure that I don't want to bother to find out.  But it has definitely affected my overall judgement of so-called Classics that just seem dour.  "Lord of the Flies" by William Golding (kids on beach running wild and somehow pigs involved),  "My Ántonia" by Willa Cather (yawn), Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck (in my mind about a squashed mouse and an old man being nursed by a lady),  The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath (on committing suicide- gave me the creeps!).  OK- so I wasn't a Literature major, but I always loved to read!

 





2 comments:

  1. I haven't gotten into the Outlander series yet, but I've heard so many good things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so good. It's a world just it's own. Enjoy when you do.

    ReplyDelete