My Adventures in Knitting, truly my Yarn-escape!

Friday, May 6, 2016

Free Friday Finds- From Historical Fiction to the Bronte Sisters to Fun "Finding Fraser"

Some Friday Finds- many of them I "found" on the Amazon Free Kindle list or on Book Bub.  I'm having fun loading up some alternatives to read while I'm up in The Adirondack Mountains.  Less books to travel with.  I need to download Outlander (my "main squeeze" book-wise) because it's a thick book.


I found The Crown and the Crucible for free by favorite authors Michael Phillips and Judith Pella.  I'm really excited about finding this book because I've read so many books by the authors a few decades ago and I just love them!  They make historical novels come alive with a mix of Faith in it, but accurate.  As a former History teacher I'm not happy when Christian novelists see fit to change history in order to (in their minds) give God glory.  Really upsets me.  God doesn't need lies to make Him look good.  Decades ago when I taught, I was shocked when handed a "Christian" book about Christopher Columbus that I was supposed to teach that described how saintly Columbus was! 

This book is where I discovered this eye opener about Columbus.

 He was personally responsible for the annihilation of much of the Indian population in the New World as Governor of Hispaniola.  He ordered that any slave that could not find gold have their arm cut off!  He was seized and dragged back to Spain in chains because of his cruel leadership.  OK- best not go on more about that subject.  Being accurate gives God more glory.  Further reading: For truth in U.S. History, the classic- A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn,  The Truth About Christopher Columbus  and  You Are Still Being Lied To: Howard Zinn’s “Columbus and Western Civilization”


So on a more cheery note The Crown and the Crucible (The Russians Book #1) by Michael Phillips and Judith Pella is still free for Kindle and it should be a very good book.







I also found The Brontë Sisters: The Complete Novels (Centaur Classics) for free, but it's now $1.99.  I haven't ever read any of these classics so I'm happy to have it.



Another classic that I read in my 20's- A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens for free. This is a wonderful tale that begins with those famous lines- 

 "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way–in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only."

Prise de la Bastille by Jean-Pierre Houël

And ends with the equally well known words-

“It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known.”First Line, Last Line



Which reminds me of a tale my best friend loved that is reminiscent of "The Tale of Two Cities" "The Scarlet Pimpernel" by Emmuska Orczy, written in 1905.  I find it here in free form PDF- The Scarlet Pimpernel and free from Amazon Kindle- The Scarlet Pimpernel.   A comparison of the two books is interesting- Time Lord of the Rings, spoilers included.



A fourth treat I found for free was the book Finding Fraser by KC Dyer, which sounds like a lark!  Apparently about Emma who goes to Scotland to find her "Jamie Fraser" (the dashing Scottish Highlander in Outlander) and finds herself.  That truly sounds like a fun and charming read and I can't blame her!




Happy Reading!

For more happy reading finds a free resource from Amazon of Classics- 











No comments:

Post a Comment