My Adventures in Knitting, truly my Yarn-escape!

Monday, May 2, 2016

Musing Monday in May



Join us in Musing Monday hosted by Jenn at Books & A Beat and talk about your current reads.


I’m currently reading…
Currently I'm reading one book on Tablet- Submerged (Alaskan Courage Book #1) by Dani Pettrey (which is still free on Kindle) and starting Outlander.  "Submerged" is really good and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.  It grabs you from the start.


And Outlander I'm just starting but I will always love and savour that book, my favorite!  I've lost count how many times I've read it.  Three times, perhaps, since it was published in 1991.  And most of the rest of her series, but the last one out I haven't read yet.  Volume 8- Written in My Own Heart’s Blood by Diana Gabaldon is her latest book in this series and I won't read it till I get through reading all the books in the series again.  She is currently writing book 9 and if you want to read "Daily Lines" from that book check out: Diana Gabaldon's Personal website.  Dinna Fash- you don't have to unless you just got to!


I find an interesting contrast between a scene in the book and the Starz TV show which I just started re-watching. 


 I loved the way the Starz show starts and I was particularly noticing the palette of blues in the beginning- as if Diana Gabaldon's hand was even there in that.  She always favors blue (my favorite color so I noticed) and wears beautiful blue wraps.


  So the scene at the beginning where Claire is looking at the beautiful blue vases (say with a British accent) stood out.  


In the movie she reluctantly passes the vase by and says that she wondered later if she had bought the vase if things would've been different.




  With that stuck in my head I started re-reading Outlander and in the book she looks at the vases in the window and walks into the store and buys them! All three of them.




  She then makes a comment about Uncle Lamb in her thoughts that as growing up with an Archeologist she never would of had such a lovely item.  "Had I had such a thing, I reflected, Uncle Lamb would have filled it with potsherds long before I could have got near it with a bunch of daisies." (p.8) 
 Frank comments on them also when he sees them. "He raises his eyebrows at my purchases. 'Vases?' He smiled. 'Wonderful. Perhaps now you'll stop putting flowers in my books.' "(p. 9)



THIS WEEK’S RANDOM QUESTION: Name any 5 books from your “to be read” pile (even if it’s a “virtual” pile).




For more thoughts and inspiration in Blue check out my last Friday Fantasy Knits where I post a lovely selection of all things knit in Blue-  Friday Fantasy Knits- I Dream in Blue.










All links to patterns available on this blog: Friday Fantasy Knits- I Dream in Blue.


No comments:

Post a Comment