My Adventures in Knitting, truly my Yarn-escape!

Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Wednesday's Yarn Along in May


"~ Two of my favorite things are knitting and reading and I love sharing my projects and current reads here.  I would love for you to join me every Wednesday to share a single photo of what you are knitting (or crocheting) and reading too! "  Share with Ginny at Small Things.



I trying to consolidate my knitting to just a few things now and prepare for my trip back East at the end of May for my daughter Elisabeth's graduation from Middlebury College in Vermont.  Tuesday's Eclectic Thoughts- Keep Calm and Knit On .




I'm working on my poncho-Technique Thursday- Doing up a Poncho and How To Follow a Knitting Pattern.



 I just started a new project out of some Lion's Hometown USA yarn I had for a blanket (I'll replace it later) and a smaller set of knitting needles that I have.  So I making adjustments and following two patterns- Cropped Cardigan and C4 Pattern Cropped Cardigan by Karen Klein.  The knitted up yarn is really soft and shows a lot of stitch definition.  I'm really liking it.  But the design looks a tad small for me, so I'm trying to make it a bit bigger while compensating for the smaller needles (size 15).




So at the end of the month I'll be in The Adirondack Mountains.  My family has a cute set of cottages in Upstate New York, my absolute favorite place to be.  So we will all be staying there, but I get there at the beginning of the week before everyone else.  So I'll get the little cabin all to myself for a little while.  


Most everyone else will stay in a Renovated Turn-of-the Century Horse & Carriage House that sits in the woods behind the cottage.  This huge garage was for the large Adirondack House that my Great-Grandfather Dr. Charles Hatfield had.  He was the Managing Director of the National Tuberculosis Association for many years at the beginning of the century- A Letter from the US President- Warren G. Harding to Dr. Charles Hatfield.  Walheim was a huge Adirondack "Summer House" with no insulation.  A throwback from the past, had 3 tiers and wrap around sleeping porches on all sides.  The house was sold after I was born.  I was offered the house for a buck from the current owners of the land before it was torn down- but what is a person supposed to do with a mansion?  Well, my family was offered the large Garage for horses and carriages for a buck and had it hauled across town and then had it re-built by carpenters.  It's quite something. 

Freshness of Morning by Anne Diggory

 But I stay in the little cottage that I grew up in in the summers. Memories abound.  It's small and cosy and I still get "my bed".  I have the knots on the ceiling memorized.  Ah, and it has a claw foot tub.   I saw somewhere a recipe for scented balls for the bath- wouldn't that be lovely!


Across the street is the Ausable River


I'm looking forward to the quiet time to read and knit and sit in front of a fire. Take walks down to the stream.  May in the mountains will still be cold.  No internet- so I'll have to post when I can, or give the blog a mini-vacation.




I'll be back to Adirondacks in the summer for my Mom's Memorial, everyone is buried there in a little cemetery on a high hillside that commands the best view of the Valley and High Peaks in the Adirondack Mountains.




Right now I'm reading Outlander by Diana Gabaldon for the third time and watching the Starz TV show Outlander with my husband.  More Outlander notes on Musing Monday in May.




Have a good week!

4 comments:

  1. Your Adirondack photos are beautiful. My parents were from upstate NY (Schenectady area) and we got to spend some time exploring the wilderness there. It is a beautiful place. My son went to school in Albany and has been working on climbing the 40 high peaks up there. He loves the Adirondacks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes the 46'ers! My brother completed climbing the last one last summer and can now claim to be a 46er! My kids have their personal lists of what one's they've done and me I did a lot of smaller mountains when I was young but my tallest back East was Noonmark at 3,556′ and did not qualify since it needed to be 4,000ft or above. I am totally jealous of them! But just for the record I climbed Pikes Peak at 14,114′ (but we live at 6,358′) in Colorado at 40- 15 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How utterly beautiful! I want to be part of your family! Enjoy your time there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you- I haven't been there in awhile and i miss it- it's kinda like home because it's the one place that hasn't changed- the woods, streams, even the cabin has barely changed since I was a kid. It's solace for the soul. And I like the timeless sense when I go to the family's club- The Ausable Club and up to the Lakes that this same place has changed little since my Great Grandfather vacationed there. Continuity- it stays the same as we age.

      Delete