My Adventures in Knitting, truly my Yarn-escape!

Monday, April 18, 2016

Musing Monday- Finishing up My Book & Knitting


Today's Musing Monday asks you to answer one of these prompts and this week's question:
-
  • I’m currently reading…
  • Up next I think I’ll read…
  • I bought the following book(s) in the past week…
  • I’m super excited to tell you about (book/author/bookish-news)…
  • I’m really upset by (book/author/bookish-news)…
  • I can’t wait to get a copy of…
  • I wish I could read ___, but…
  • I blogged about ____ this past week…
  • THIS WEEK’S RANDOM QUESTION: Name your least favorite plot device employed by way too many books that you actually enjoyed, otherwise.
     The creator of today's meme is Books and a Beat.
I'm currently reading Catherine Anderson's book New Leaf: A Mystic Creek Novel.  I'm disappointed reading the book but I can't tell if it's the book or me.  I got used to reading my fun adventurous Fox & O'Hare Series by Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg.  And swinging back to a Romance novel (which usually I love) is just not grabbing my interest.  The book itself probably in days gone by would of been OK, maybe even good.  I like her other books and I'm making myself finish it (I just can't stand not finishing what I start) and then Outlander by Diana Gabaldon might be my next read.  I have several copies- a lovely paperback and the 25th anniversary edition- since it's my favorite book.  I just am craving something more in a read with twists and turns and rich descriptions and I was looking at the book racks yesterday and I was totally stumped.  I just want something different and I'm not sure what that is yet. So I'll read what I know I'd like.


THIS WEEK’S RANDOM QUESTION: Name your least favorite plot device employed by way too many books that you actually enjoyed, otherwise.
In answer to this week's question I'd have to say that I usually love Romance novels, my new turn off by this one might be temporary or maybe I'm making a turn for more in-depth novels.  Of course that could end when I next grab a favorite Romance novel author.  At any rate a popular plot device for Romance novels is the downward dramatic turn about 3/4 of the way through.  I know it's to add drama, but I read a Romance novel for a happy ending and contrary to real life,  I am just not interested in the negative, oh-so-suddenly-something-horrible happened part.  Probably why I have a hard time reading any books labeled a classic (unless a kid's book) because they all seem so dour.  Like "The Bell Jar"- thank you, but no I did not need to read this as a teen!  Poor taste reading about suicide and romanticizing it by making it poetic.  It still sticks with me.  And "Of Mice and Men"- I'm still traumatized from high school about a squashed mouse by a huge man!  Got the point- yup, dramatic.  So I like my nice reads.  Tired of murder mysteries- did that for a few decades, a decade ago. 


 So as I was looking at the book racks yesterday, I'm stymied- happy books are the Romances.  Yet I'm getting a bit bored because they are, in general, predictable.  Get into the "real fiction" aisle and it's all murder, mayhem.  No good thoughts there.  So I'm on a new journey to find a new type of book and meanwhile I think I'll park myself back at my favorite series- "Outlander". 


On the knitting front I've got a few seams up and done on my Fearless Cardigan. I'm finding the doing of seams more difficult than before, but I didn't want bulky seams and it's Super Bulky wool, so I must of undid the back seam several times before I did it my way, not the directions.  I'm pleased with the results, even if it leaves an unconventional chain down my back- the seam is smooth and not a ridge down my spine. So hopefully that will be done for the morrow!

Oliver the cat "helping" with my knitting



And I started a beautiful poncho out of two skeins that I reclaimed from an unfinished project-







Happy Reading this week!



2 comments: