My Adventures in Knitting, truly my Yarn-escape!

Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Wednesday's Yarns: Knits to do While Reading

 



     I absolutely love to read.  I've been hooked since 9 when I started reading a series of biographies on the bottom shelf of the library.  Nice ones on Florence Nightengale, and George Washington Carver.  Easy reading, but memorable.   I graduated to Laura Ingalls Wilder next year, and Little Women the following.  At some point the following year I tried The Rise and Fall of The Third Reich (on my Mother's shelves).  I didn't get far.  Not that I blame myself, I tried the Audible of it last year and it was too dark to continue.   My school years were always dominated by the thickest books I could find. I breezed through Middle Earth and stories of talking Moles and Watership Down.  I rarely was without a book. 



     So I now I do love to knit.  A passion of mine that the very thought calms me in stress or warms my heart if I'm down.  But sit and just knit seems to now elude me.  I now know how to knit while reading.  Over time I found my fingers found the stitches for me while I'm reading.  My Mom gave me a Leather Book Weight by The Vermont Country Store decades ago and that can prop a hardback book open on my lap or table.  A paperback is easily subdued with a huge monster hair clip on top and now I have a Paperwhite Kindle that has a cover that props it open.  So knitting has to be arranged according to how easily I can knit it while reading.  Some projects getting more attention because they're easy to knit.  Bulky or Worsted wt is great for feeling the stitches.  My circular Shawl of finger weight is so simple because it has no end.  Hats, oh the ease of hats.  I once came out of surgery and before my eyes opened I asked for the hat I was knitting.  It calmed me down since the world was spinning.  Yup, a circular needle and a nice thick worsted and my fingers can see.




     My favorite knits right now are the Planispiral Shawl featured in the blog post: Wednesday'sYarns: Planispiral Shawl.  My nice worsted Shawl out of a Denim colored yarn called Jeans in the post: Wednesday'sYarns: Grab'n Go Triangular Shawl and my Fluff Shawl knits from 2 Yarns- Wednesday'sYarns: Fluff Shawl.  All really super to knit & read with.




     I'm still reading the Joe Pickett series by CJ Box.  I finished Out of Range, book 5 (another great book) yesterday and I read the sample to book 6 In Plain Sight today.  My husband suggested I get paperbacks to save money after I explained how frustrated I was with the price of downloading the books.  The new paperbacks were a buck cheaper.  Then I found a used bookstore online for overstocked books.  So not really used, and supposedly, according to the site in good shape.  Only $4 a book at Book Outlet.  But the key is to get a large enough amount of books to justify the $6 shipping.  So I've ordered my next books, enough to cover a month and a half at a book a week.  I have surgery in a month and we're also camping next week and I want my books.  The downside is I'm stuck without Joe Pickett for 24 hrs!  Fortunately, I found a really good series on my Kindle Unlimited called Foreign Deceit: A David Wolf Mystery Thriller by Jeff Carson.  Exciting, starts in Colorado (always a good thing since I miss Colorado), is action-packed,  yet has great little details about the beautiful scenery.  I mean the smells of Colorado, the smell of pines in the air.  The weather, how clouds form behind a mountain and you can see the storm approach.  I know exactly what he's describing - life in the high country.  And the author has a believable main character.  The writing is also good.  So I might have competition for Joe. 






Come Join Us
 at
To Read about Other Bloggers' Knitting and 📚 Reading






3 comments:

  1. Great projects you have going there! And I smelled the pine trees (and the aspen) when you mentioned them -- I live in n.w. Wisconsin, and we have lots of both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Knitting and reading are a balm for these troubled times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot imagine what my life would be without knitting or reading... lovely post!

    ReplyDelete