My Adventures in Knitting, truly my Yarn-escape!

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Tuesday's Eclectic Thoughts



      I'm going very early tomorrow morning to the Denver airport for a morning flight to Upstate New York.  My family will be driving up from New Jersey and meet me and then we'll drive the rest of the way up.  I'll be passing through old territory.  I remember being in the back of the station wagon with my brother (before seat belt laws) passing along the route going Upstate, passing through the bridge beyond Albany.  That area became my home for several decades after I went to Skidmore, my husband and I settled in the Old Saratoga area where the battle took place.  The snows were deep, the Fall's very brilliant with red Maples and yellow and orange Oaks and the summers I enjoyed a quick escape to The Adirondacks often.  We gave that up going to Colorado and while I love Colorado and the West, I miss The Adirondacks.



      I'm packed with my fashion consultant's help (my daughter) and I have plenty of knitting and reading material with me.  This time I'm bringing a real book- the tablet, while nice, is not the same as a book in my hand for vacation.  I got my dulcimer case last week and that'll be strapped to my back for singing at my Mom's Memorial.  I'm all set.


My yarn for the Hat KAL by WEBS- Choose Your Own Adventure - Hat KAL



      There are two houses- a cottage where I'll stay with my dad and the converted carriage house of my Great-Grandfather's called the "Bunkhouse" back in the woods above us.  My brother's family stays up there, plus my youngest daughter (with all the kids) and my oldest daughter who lives with them and watches the kids and cooks for them.  She must have a double dose of patience.




     I could hear the screams from below every morning when I was there last month.  Imagine- I have my tea and lovely homemade Whole Wheat Sourdough bread with walnuts and raisins that I made and brought (recipe will follow at some point in my Sweet-to-be blog).  I sit quietly at a small dining table in a nook in the sunshine with classical music streaming from my tablet.  My Dad says- they made you blueberry muffins above, they're waiting.  OK, blueberry muffins good draw,  I still can hear the screams and.....boy am I happy and content just being where I am.  Yes, life should be so difficult,  I'll figure it out,  I just love moments of peace and quiet.  And my youngest daughter just informed me she'd like me to deliver her tea up to the Bunkhouse every morning in her pink and green ceramic travel mug so she can wake up early with her cousins, so la-de-da for her- room service?  My Maggie is cute, she actually gets away with stuff like that.



     Next week we'll go into camp for a weekend with all the family.  We'll be rowing in Adirondack Guide boats filled with supplies up the Ausable Lakes to ultimately get to a Turn-of-the-century lodge with no electricity.  The kitchen is gas powered and there are nice showers and bathrooms.  And lots of mosquitos!  I've already done my research on soaps and scents that repel bugs.  Apparently mint and lavender help.  In Colorado we have no bugs that bite because it's so dry.  The past two nights I've seen one mosquito a night and that's a lot!  I'm sure I'll be wearing bug spray too!  Thankfully they have netting for out in the lean-to where I want to be if my son comes.

mjwitherell 

Jkhnelson
A story I found on someone's blog of their trip as a guest up the Lakes to stay-  "Oh Jen Darling" - "Dominoes and Dinner Parties" A Blogger's recounting of their trip up the Ausable Lakes to camp!


     I'm going to post a few blogs while I'm gone on automatic and some will be repeats of blogs I liked and were hardly read.  Enjoy your summer and check out the KAL's I have posted at the top for some fun summer knits. 

If you want to share your knits today check out-


Join "Keep Calm & Craft On" to post your  projects on Tuesday or later in the week.
Nicole says: "The act of creating, in one form or another, preserves my sanity amongst the chaos of life. This explains why I always have more than one project going at a time as well as why my housework tends to fall behind. I enjoy seeing what others are working on and keeping calm with, too. What are you creating? What is keeping you going? Snap a picture or two and share it with the rest of us by leaving your link" on her blog, link above.

No comments:

Post a Comment