My Adventures in Knitting, truly my Yarn-escape!

Monday, June 27, 2016

Musing Mondays


            
- I'm currently reading…
- Up next I think I’ll read…
- I bought the following book(s) in the past week…
- I'm super excited to tell you about (book/author/bookish-news)…
- I'm really upset by (book/author/bookish-news)…
- I can’t wait to get a copy of…
- I wish I could read ___, but…
- I blogged about ____ this past week…
THIS WEEK’S RANDOM QUESTION: What is/are your favorite book cover(s)?
PLEASE add your book comments at Books and a Beat, Thanks!


     I'm still enjoying reading "Wild Stories: The Best of Men's Journal- 2003" and finding it hard to finish a story because I become attached to the story and the main character in whichever story I'm reading at the moment.  Many of the stories I do a search afterwards to see where they are today.  In the story called "A Mountain of Trouble" Jeff Lowe is a climber who is at the top of his game, the best.  Because of bad business decisions he was going bankrupt, personally at the bottom going through a divorce and owing all his friends tons of money they invested into him.  Suddenly, in the winter, he decides to pursue a very difficult ascent never done before- climb the North Face of Eiger in the Swiss Alps in winter.  The story opens with him trapped for a few days in a cave he carved out in the North Face as avalanches and a snowstorm keep him penned in.  He was poorly prepared with climbing gear because he had sold most of his stuff and he used supplies donated by climbing gear companies.  Unused, untried equipment.  He's cold, wet and running out of  food supplies.  In the morning after a few days he hears an unearthly vibrating music and to this day doesn't know if he heard it or imagined it.  I won't give away the ending, but what made him a great climber is his total ability to deal with now.  Today, what is right in front of him.  Now 16 years later he has a mysterious illness like ALS and is in a wheelchair, but the way his companion girlfriend Connie Self talks of him and how he overcomes is amazing using the skills he learned as a great climber.  Endurance to the end.


“His life as a climber has had a huge impact on how he deals with this,” Self says. “Climbing, you do the best you can with what you’ve got, from where you are, right now. You are focused in this moment on solving this next step, this next move. You’re not saying, ‘Argh, this shouldn’t have happened. Why is this crack ending here?’ If you’re doing that, all your creativity shuts down." 
“When you stay open to possibilities, you stay in the present moment and you keep moving. You can make the best possible decisions when you keep your creativity open and you’re embracing reality. That’s what Jeff calls it, ’embracing reality’ instead of resisting reality.” Denver Post- Jeff Lowe, Legendary Mountain Climber, slowly dying of ALS-type disease






Here's a link to the film he has worked on about the climb, I haven't seen it yet, but I want to- Jeff Lowe's Metanoia .


THIS WEEK’S RANDOM QUESTION: What is/are your favorite book cover(s)?
I love Karen Marie Moning's cover's- Fever Series





Her books are also awesome!

Happy Reading this week- I'm off to the Adirondacks tomorrow and probably won't be able to post because I don't have internet!  The quiet of the woods is good too!

No comments:

Post a Comment