My Adventures in Knitting, truly my Yarn-escape!

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Teaser Tuesday

Teaser Tuesday is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Books And A Beat.
 Anyone can play along! Just do the following:
• Grab your current read
• Open to a random page
• Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
 BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
• Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!



     I'm reading Wild Stories: The Best of Men's Journal- 2003 , which is a compilation of short stories written over 10 years from "Men's Journal".  It's really good, fantastic writings and edge of the seat situations.  Once I finish one story I can't help to go on to the other. 


     Yesterday I finished the article called "Alone" by a Pulitzer Prize journalist and writer Philip Caputo.  I found his words a comfort in the wake of last weekend's tragedy and it was not till I wrote my blog yesterday that I saw the connection. 


     Yesterday's Musing Mondays goes over how the author was backpacking the Gila National Forest in New Mexico.  While hiking and camping he saw the interconnectedness of random articles he had read before he left about arbitrary events, some very violent, that happened in an overcrowded, growing city.  He personally comes to the conclusion that man is losing a good part of himself by being disconnected to what should of been his natural habitat.  


I found his words an inspiration to try to turn off the noise and just listen to the birds outside.  Go for a walk down this lonely road in Colorado.  Enjoy a full rainbow from end to end while hugging a small tree because of hail.  Taking pictures of a hillside covered with bright orange poppies and deep purple iris. 
  
Photo by Maggie Anderson

Photo by Maggie Anderson

 A moment of peace, a reconnecting with my Creator.  Peace found in a world gone wild, not the good type of wild either, I'd rather go find that!


Found this picture of an old lady in the Gila Wilderness and I just had to share it as an inspiration for me.  I'd love to be like her!


OK, so this is supposed to be a teaser!  I have two quotes- one I found pertinent to the author's point in "Alone" (p. 86 ).
  "I stoke the fire, flick on my penlight, and began rereading A Sand County Almanac, both because I like it and because it seems a good way to express my gratitude." The author of the piece he was reading was Aldo Leopold, a U.S. Forest Service worker and his writings and advocacy promoted the Gila National Forest and it's preservation.  " The opening of the book, published almost fifty years ago, has always struck me for its clarity: 'There are some who can live without wild things, and some that cannot. These essays are the delights and dilemmas of one who cannot.... Like winds and sunsets, wild things were taken for granted until progress began to do away with them. Now we face the question whether a still higher 'standard of living' is worth its cost in things natural, wild, and free. For us of the minority, the opportunity to see geese is more important than television, and the chance to find a pasque-flower is a right as inalienable as free speech.' "



My Teaser for this Tuesday-
p. 412 (From the short story- "Sunk" by Doug Stanton)
"Other than suffering irritation from oil in one of his eyes, he's neither injured nor in great distress. He is, though, completely alone, and for a terrifying moment he believes he's the only one to have made it off the Indianapolis alive."




No comments:

Post a Comment