My Adventures in Knitting, truly my Yarn-escape!

Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Yarns - A Sockhead Hat and "The Great Alone"





     I started this hat the first day my son went to Alaska in June, a few days after graduating from an Ecology College in Maine.  He's salmon fishing for a job, living in a cabin off the grid till autumn.  So I started his Sockhead Slouch Hat for Christmas knowing he wouldn't see the posts and also to feel closer to him.








     The hat is being knitted up in Patons Kroy Sock FX yarn in Canyon.  It is a bit scratchy so I plan to soak it in conditioner when I'm done, a recommended trick by Ravelry users of the yarn.  I'm surprised at how simple the knit is and how I want to grab it all the time and knit and read at the same time.  That's how easy it is.  It seems fast, but I have been at it for more than a month, but not bad for me, a slow knitter (and I always knit several projects at once).  I'm already planning the next one and I have picked out the colors.  The yarn has great colorways and even though it's scratchy a bit, it's got a few things going for it besides the color.  It's supposed to be very durable as sock yarn so I plan to do socks up also for my son in it, he always works hard outdoors as a carpenter.  Also, it's a hefty wool, it ought to be warm.  Another thing it's a little heavier than normal fingering wt. so it does knit faster.  I'm hoping to find a simple sock pattern for a size #2 needle.  That's the size recommended by a Ravelry user.  Before using the yarn I read as many comments as I could on the yarn in Ravelry and I found that very helpful - Patons Kroy Socks FX.








     My read this week "The Great Alone' by Kristin Hannah is set in Alaska in the 1970's.  A family moves off the grid, living in a tiny rustic cabin and totally unprepared for the rigors and harshness of Alaska.  The father is a Vietnam Vet and life with him is violent for his wife and 14-year-old daughter.  At first, this story gripped me because of the main character Leni, the 14 yr. old is 14 in 1974, the same as I was.  The books she read from "Watership Down" to Tolkien were books I read.   The author has the feel for the 70's as I remember it.  But, Leni enters into a world where she needs to survive, learn to shoot a gun and survive her family and Alaska in deep dark winter.  The book is at turns amazingly beautiful, filled with descriptions of Alaska and Leni's growing love for Alaska.  Then harsh and oh-so-real in the abusive situation Leni is in and the realities of living off the grid in an Alaskan winter.  The author's descriptions of Alaska are noticeably detailed and in an interview, she said she had lived in Alaska some summers - KRISTIN HANNAH Coming of age in the wilds of Alaska.  I'm more than halfway through and despite the harshness of the abuse, it is a wonderful and gripping novel.  I highly recommend it. "The Great Alone" Book Trailer (But I must say I'm relieved my son is coming home to Maine at the end of September.  This book has a side of Alaska in Winter that is so harsh that it shocked me, yet it's so beautiful.  And right now my son is on Kodiak Island just a little bit south of Homer, Alaska near where Leni lives in the fictional town of Kaneq.).







Come Join Us at Unraveled Wednesday








12 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I might need to queue up that book! And, I love the colors of your hat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally worth it! It hits you hard and there's such a mix of beauty and brutality in man and nature. So well written.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just started a Sockhead Hat, too! Only mine is for me. My son just moved to Miami, so I don't have much reason to knit him hats.
    It's hard when they are so far away, isn't it? And Miami is nearby, compared to Alaska. I think it's so great that your son is living off the grid. There's an individual who cares about Mother Earth. No wonder the Kristin Hannah book appealed to you. It connects on so many levels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great hat! I tried to read The Great Alone, but just couldn't get into it. The abusive sections were just too much for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally understand! I was warned, so that helped. And I feel in love with Leno and enjoying the descriptions of Alaska. Now if my son was staying there for winter too I might of shut the book real fast.

      Delete
  5. The sockhead hat for your son is a great idea. I like the bright color. I often knit for family who live far away - thinking of them with the stitches makes me feel closer to them. It is a comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally knitting for my family makes me feel more connected!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved that book, and I am knitting to use up my yarn stash! So just some baby carry seat blankets. I love the colour of the hat, will we see it being sported by your son?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know. He goes home to Maine and I'm in Colorado. He's hinted he and his girlfriend might be here for Christmas. But he'll probably get a shot of himself and Emily in their hats if they don't come (I'm making a purple stripe hat for his girlfriend Emily).

      Delete
  8. I will tell my daughter about that book! I LOVE that you are making your son a hat! WHahoooo. IF my son moves to a cold climate I'll get to knit him some hats!

    ReplyDelete