My Adventures in Knitting, truly my Yarn-escape!

Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Yarn Along, Reading on a Tablet and My Surprise

                 
                 

Join us for Yarn Along Wednesdays hosted by Small Things. Ginny says: "~ Two of my favorite things are knitting and reading and I love sharing my projects and current reads here. I would love for you to join me every Wednesday to share a single photo of what you are knitting (or crocheting) and reading too! Share your photo on your blog, on Instagram (#yarnalong), or on Flickr. Leave a link below to share your photo with the rest of us!~" So mosey over to her site if you want to post anything.



     When I knit I read and drink tea. It's a place of rest and serenity. I place of Home. I recently got a Fire Tablet from Amazon and I've never used one before or owned a reader like a Kindle. I'm kind of old fashioned and a bit stubborn when it comes to new technology. OK, don't laugh. I'm 55 and was born in 1960. Kennedy was President and the 6o's hadn't happened yet. TV's were black and white and when I was  9 yrs. old a man walked on the moon. I remember sitting on the blue rug in front of the TV with the family and seeing the guy bounce (in black & white) and hearing those now famous words- "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind". Even then they sounded so significant and as if they echoed through time. You just knew it was pivotal.


                             Telegraph- Neil Armstrong and a TV drama none of us will ever forget


     So for me yes these devices are new and I do love books. I love holding them and flipping and ear-marking the paper. So for me this is one small step towards technology; but I am firmly bonded to my books. The ability to read a book on such a thin and light device is very nice though for my hands (I have carpel tunnel so I thought it a wise choice for me) and I like that it glows at night; so I can keep reading and turn out the lights for my husband who goes to bed very early. Sometimes I've gotten growled at with my light on! No more! So while I have my hardback books I'm still reading (Lovely Yarn Escapes- Books, Knitting and Reading History) I did download a Jill Shalvis book to be on my Kindle App when I got the Fire Tablet. She's a favorite author of mine of contemporary romance and she always has a great sense of humor. Her books always sparkle. This book is called "My Kind of Wonderful".



     So far it's been a fun read and grabs your attention at a top of a mountaintop in Colorado. Since it snowed last night and I woke up to a snow dusted Colorado it seems appropriate- Colorado and my soul are not ready to be rid of winter and the snow. While everyone was grumbling this morning that it looked like Maine I secretly rejoiced. Just give me a bit more cold and snow, but I get to stay home and snuggle up and make potato soup later and maybe Whole Wheat Bread in my bread machine. Knit and blog and read. Perhaps that's why I'm happy when it's cold outside.




     Another reason to rejoice is my son who I haven't seen since last year's Christmas over a year ago surprised me by walking in the door with his girlfriend Emily. I get to meet her in tears & my flannel nightgown. And hold my son since it seems forever. Yup- I cried- lots. They surprised me by dropping by on Sunday. He called me that morning and I thought he was still in Maine starting his Spring break at College of The Atlantic, he says goodbye and little did I know he was just down the road trying to get his Mom off the phone so he could knock on my door. I'm crying in the bathroom because I hadn't seen him for so long- but he's happy I tell myself. He loves it in Maine and his college. But, still I miss him- so much that I can hear his voice in the living room! I have him for 2 weeks and I got to meet Emily his lovely girlfriend. I'm so thankful to hold him again.)






No comments:

Post a Comment