My Adventures in Knitting, truly my Yarn-escape!

Monday, March 14, 2016

Books, Knitting and Reading History




This week's Musing Mondays which is hosted by Books and a Beat, asks you to answer one of these questions and the random question. Post your answer on the Books and Beat blog leaving an answer in her comments and or giving a link to your blog. Happy Reading this week.

  • I’m currently reading…
  • Up next I think I’ll read…
  • I bought the following book(s) in the past week…
  • I’m super excited to tell you about (book/author/bookish-news)…
  • I’m really upset by (book/author/bookish-news)…
  • I can’t wait to get a copy of…
  • I wish I could read ___, but…
  • I blogged about ____ this past week…
THIS WEEK’S RANDOM QUESTION: Approximately how many books do you usually read per week? Per month?
I'm currently reading The Scam by Janet Evanovich The Scam- a Fox & O'Hare- novel by Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg which I started last week and I'm loving it. All the books in this series are witty and faced paced reads of intricate scams done by a handsome thief named Nicholas Fox and the FBI agent Kate O'Hare who's trying (unsuccessfully) to rein him in. Their goal is to catch top multi-millionaire thieves and very bad guys. Always fun. Her newest book in this series is out June 21st is The Pursuit.  Not one book is a disappointment- they all deliver.  

These days with knitting and blogging in between I get lots less reading done. To see my latest knitting project check out Lovelyyarnescapes-The Sumptuous Sexy Fearless Cardigan. My book sitting by my side keeping me company, but not opened as much. So I'm typically reading a book a week, not such intellectually challenging ones either- just fun. I also have a History Blog that I started last month, and I challenged myself to start reading some history books again. Long long time ago I was a History Major and teacher for awhile. I miss history. I have a passion for it and while I studied it throughout my school years I always felt like there was so much more to learn. I always had this secret goal to start "at the Beginning" of history and then read up till the present to get a better overall picture of world history. 



So I'm starting at 0 or the birth of Christ even though there is lots of history prior to then, but my interests lie more from the Crusades to the previous turn-of-the-century and starting there will give me lots of background to favorite historical periods of mine. I found several books of interest to get me started-the "Desire of the Everlasting Hills: The World Before and After Jesus" (Hinges of History Book 3) which is apart of "The Hinges of History" series by Thomas Cahill with other books like: "How the Irish Saved Civilization" (Hinges of History Book 1). This book starts at the pivotal point of Rome and the life of Jesus. Also I want to read "The Lessons of History" by Will & Ariel Durant because they give their overview of history and themes after they wrote 11 books in their series on "The Story Of Civilization, The lessons of History". This is a comprehensive history which was never completed, and I've got Volume 4 downloaded and ready to read. It starts at the Roman empire and Jesus.  I blogged on that in my History Blog- History Takes Perspective- An Overview of History Embarked Upon.












2 comments:

  1. I like pre-history especially Sumeria a lot - but I agree history is fascinating - I remember when I first read a book on world History when events in any given period was laid out country by country it was such a shock to realize how ignorant I was, well the whole of the country were - we are ever taught our own nations viewpoint - since then I have tried to find out more about other countries.

    https://albertareads.wordpress.com/2016/03/14/the-miniaturist-by-jessie-burton-musing-monday/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah- I actually found it frustrating when I took some Masters courses in US Foreign Relations- they taught us Historical Point of View. And I'm thinking why couldn't they of taught me this when in grade school? I can easily understand a person's viewpoint changes written history, but I didn't realize to what degree it changes "The facts" and the why's. I found I liked the radical viewpoint just because they were willing to dredge up the dirty side of history- like the U.S. could actually be guilty of doing bad things. Anyway, I think it's a challenge to find the middle ground where truth must lie. It is encouraging that as my kids go through school they do encounter a more open minded liberal perspective, but I don't know if that is a sign of our times or our liberal minded community. Not that Liberals are all right- but I think perspective needs both view points weighed. Thanks for reading!

      Delete