My Adventures in Knitting, truly my Yarn-escape!

Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Wednesday's Yarns: Hats for Ukrainians



     Every fall I have a KAL/CAL (Knit-Along and Crochet-Along) to knit hats for people in need in our Ravelry group Resistance Knitters.  We've knit for Migrants and also Ukrainians.  Last Spring 2022 we mobilized our knitters in the Facebook group Resistance Knitters Persist and in the Ravelry group: Ravelry Resistance Knitters and got hats on the first shipment out to Poland from Lifting Hands International Utah




    
     


     This last Fall 2022 I had a KAL in the Ravelry Resistance Knitters group.  We had only a few people but some had been knitting since the Spring.  I always hope that any effort we make has a ripple effect that touches others.  One such effect from our Spring knitting at the onset of the war was there were a couple of ladies who either continued to knit more on their own hats or they created a group to also knit.  One such lady created a church group of knitters and continued knitting hats and winter accessories through the Spring and Summer to save for the Fall and they contacted Lifting Hands International themselves and found out what they could make for the warm months (I'll post on that later with a feature on small palm-sized dolls called "Izzy" dolls). Izzy Teddy Bear Dolls



   
     So when I started my Fall KAL last year I had about 2 ladies contributing but they had saved up all their efforts to create hats since probably around March.  Around March, towards April, Lifting Hands stops collecting winter accessories, or if they get them they save them for the Fall to come.  



     
     So my thoughts were to start knitting hats and save them till this Fall 2023.  I'm a slow knitter and this would help me actually get more than a couple done to give.  Also, I love knitting hats!  When I want a mindless knit that doesn't require anything of me and I can read at the same time, a hat is my favorite go-to.  And despite the feet of snow out the door here in Maine, I do believe Spring has to come, so knitting warm hats for myself or my family just isn't going to interest me. 




      And I have blue and yellow yarn stashed aside for just Ukrainian hats.  A very nice Swish yarn from Knitpicks.  Soft washable %100 Wool.  And if you knit hats for charity wool is grand but I think acrylic has its place as more hypoallergenic and very washable and affordable; I just really like this yarn and it's really affordable for real wool.




  I designed a hat for a KAL a few years ago, it's called The Simple Hat and it's a great go-to for knitting for Migrants and Refugees.





Links to Helpful Sites:     

  • The Simple Hat
  • Lifting Hands International Utah
  • Ravelry Resistance Knitters I hope to run another KAL in the Fall but There's lots of info and patterns from previous KALs.
  • Resistance Knitters Persist Please come ask to join if you share a need to protest the tough spots in life whether political or help newly arrived migrants or send relief in International crises like the war in Ukraine in a peaceful & creative manner.  Sometimes all you can do is your small part and knit, but it's enough and through peaceful and non-violent means we show concern and hopefully make this world a little better.  It also calms the soul in distressing times


     For my reading these days I've been choosing very light but comforting reads by Maxine Morrey.  I'm just finishing "The Year of Saying No" which has been a delight.  She really fleshes out her characters and I always fall in love with them.  I'm going on to read one of her newer books " You Only Live Once".




     I belong to the Book of the Month club which has given me a bookcase filled with mostly books I haven't read; which was a dream of mine (vs. having a bookcase of books you have already read).  I save my all-time favorites and give away my books I've read so I get to share the love.  And all history books are of course treasured and saved.  




     So my next read is a book I just got from Book of the Month by Jojo Moyes who is an author definitely in my favorite category.   Usually, she knows how to pull the heartstrings and she is a master at creating characters and unique settings.  I'll let you know how it is. 📚 🤔 Random House Review 





     

    Come Join Us

 at

 Unraveled Wednesday


To Read about Other Bloggers' Knitting and 📚 Reading

     

     
     

 

1 comment:

  1. I love the idea of knitting charity hats in Ukraine colors! Perfect! (and I agree Swish is such a friendly yarn... my daughter can't felt it when she forgets and washes something!)

    ReplyDelete