My Adventures in Knitting, truly my Yarn-escape!

Wednesday, March 22, 2023

Twists of Life: Wednesday's Yarns

    

Blue Hat found in post:

     Hey yesterday (really today as I write this) Life took it's sudden turn as it's want to do unexpectedly.   I started the same way, going through my morning ablutions struggling with stupid negative thoughts, as usual.  Not knowing something is coming down the pike that swiftly makes my dark memories as nothing.  My husband calls and says: "I'm in the hospital".  I reply, as the family's self-appointed person that feels I must be positive at all times: "Well, you're talking you must be O.K."  Well he sliced almost all the way through his pinky while fixing a intake valve or something on the roof of a Senior facility he manages.  His job is his hands.


     Thankfully my youngest daughter was home from college.  She's a steady one and together we spent the day in the ER.  His pinky is sewn on and we wait a few days to see if the surgeon thinks it's salvageable.   Thankfully the whole hand wasn't cut by this fan he was fixing.  Horribly understaffed he should of had help.  Sigh. Well now they need to hire  someone to help him.


The large Blue & Green knit is the

     So, a day in the ER is immeasurably better with knitting.  Getting ready to go I purposefully packed a bag with 3 knitting projects.  Have knitting have peace.  My daughter watches the stitching,  I knit not handling the sight of blood too well. It's been a long day.  I'm having a bath.  My daughter is watching old sitcoms with Dad.  I will be thankful for my knitting and to a God that knows.  

🙏 if you do that his pinky is saved.

P.S. A few days later the Dr says it's healing well, he's in lots of pain from dropping the opiod but he'll be O.K. with a whole finger. Such relief. Apparently fingers heal really well, we were told.  It's so hard to believe considering how detached it was.  Totally a miracle how the body is made. 

     So as for reading, I finished a really nice Rom-com the day before: "Say Yes" by Maxine Morrey.   But when life gets tough it just doesn't work to read a feel good book.  So I didn't want to read her next book right now.  My insides feel ripped apart and jagged.  So I scanned my downloaded Kindle Library.  It's rather big with books I either thought to read or started and didn't continue.  Also tons of samples.  I perused "Peril" by Woodward which starts after the attack on the Capital.  But I still am tired of reading about He-Who-Will-Not-be-Named. Maybe next year I'll attack the Woodward books on his presidency; very well written.



     So next I thought of a book I started and at some point I have to finish.  Again I just couldn't handle the topic any more; this time Covid.  The book "The Premonition "by Michael Lewis is about the medical and scientific community that tried to avert the Covid disaster.  In it is mentioned that President Bush was engrossed in a book one summer about the Spanish Flu called "The Great Influenza" by John M. Berry (also a great book to read I have heard, it's on my to be read shelf).  He then immediately ordered a team to create a pandemic response of protocols if something happened.  These were ignored at the time Covid happened, even though still in place. The book is about the missed opportunities and the lengths Dr's & Scientists went to fight the Pandemic.  

     Thinking of these books I remembered a new book I got which is Green Cli-Fi, as dubbed by the New York Times.  "Deluge" by Stephen Markley is a Sci-Fi like disaster book dealing with an apocalyptic ending because of Climate change.  Fiction but based on real science and today's issues and possibly tomorrow's problems.  Really tough material to read, and perhaps a bit too much right now; but I got it because it did sound like a gripping, eyeopening read. 



     So I moved on from those books, not exactly hitting the spot, to fiction.  I perused a Longmire book I have "Another Man's Moccasins" number 4 in the series.  If you've watch the series, which is great, the books are even better.  I read the first 3 books a few years ago collecting some of the books later in the series.  Book 4 opens with Longmire's daughter Katie obviously post some major accident and I'm thinking I can'tclearly remember the previous events so maybe I should just start over.  I have all the first books, so I'll do that.  So that left me with CJ Box.  I tried to order the first book "Open Season" used online from Better World Books, my favorite online Used store (they donate a book for each one you order, and do green things, and are very cheap).  But we moved and my address was not updated.  The book traveled the US and back again.  Sigh, they refunded me but no book.  I'll try again but meanwhile I'll try the first book online and see if I like it.  I wanted the books for my husband to read them too.  So tomorrow I'll see if that story hits the spot.  If it doesn't maybe I should go back and check out the Cli-fi book.  Certainly apocalypse and the World's end should make today's hardship seem small in comparison?





Come Join Us
 at
 Unraveled Wednesday
To Read about Other Bloggers' Knitting and 📚 Reading










2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. I am happy to say a prayer for you and your husband. Thank goodness for knitting and your daughter being home. I've read The Great Influenza and its interesting to say the least. Like you, I am exhausted by the ex-President and am avoiding giving him any more of my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! I will absolutely include my prayers for your husband's hand! I hope there is good healing and he remains a 10-fingered person!

    And, yes... thank goodness for knitting. It helps in all sorts of situations! (I likewise enjoyed the Longmire books, but I have not read many of them!)

    ReplyDelete