My Adventures in Knitting, truly my Yarn-escape!

Wednesday, March 29, 2023

A Mystery Yarn

      


     I discover a ball of forgotten Alpaca Lace, actually, the cat discovered it and thankfully didn't ruin it, after batting it around for a while.  I knew I'd gotten the yarn for a specific purpose, but I couldn't remember what for.  I also remembered it was Knitpicks.  That's all I knew.  And it was soft and by my standards tiny, tiny thin thread.  So with a bit of hunting, I found it was Knitpicks Alpaca Cloud Lace in a dark navy called Edgar.  


     So a new way for me to dream up appropriate projects is to look up the yarn on Ravelry and see what previous projects were done in that yarn.  In this instance, Alpaca Cloud Lace had over 10k projects, but I plowed on thinking it's such a lovely soft yarn but what in the world do you do with it?  I was quickly disabused of its supposed limitations and I found a so soft & simple asymmetrical scarf called Fluff.  I saw I could knit it singly into this lovely soft scarf but in the back of my mind, there was a certain purpose I had for this yarn.  What was it?  The next day as I looked for the right size knitting needles I came across the lovely yarn my oldest daughter gave to me a few years ago.  Now, this ball of something silk, Wool and perhaps Alpaca is in a size called "cobweb".  Yup, it's aptly named, and if I thought Lace was small, well this was something else.  I had carefully wrapped it into a ball, all 1,000 plus yards.  At the time I wondered what to do with this gorgeous, but super downsized tiny yarn?  I'm not into Lace knitting, preferring my knitting to be rhythmic and peaceful. (Apparently, my daughter who knits Colonial balls, a pincushion, in very fine lace silk yarn on 00 needles wanted to challenge me.)  So my thought was to find a coordinating Lace wt. yarn and do something knit together.  So hence the Alpaca Cloud. 



     So I started my Shawl called "Fluff" in both Yarns held together on a size #9 needle.  I'm really happy with the result.  The yarns together don't show off the beautiful cobweb yarn my daughter gave me but this project will take under 500 yds; so I have plenty of cobweb yarn left for a simple Shawl, almost a scarf done in a simple lace design that will show off that yarn called Spring Festival Scarf.


mewkittie's Another Fluff


perrineleblanc's Fluff !


bluelilystyle's Prune Fluff !

  I started a new book series: CJ Box's Joe Pickett series.  Totally a new genre; a cross between modern western and mystery set in Wyoming.  The main character Joe Picket is a Game Warden for Wyoming who has endearing qualities that make him real, as opposed to macho.  He has a family with a young precocious daughter also featured in the plot who finds a "secret" pet in the woodpile, vaguely described as a ferret.  A mysterious murder happens which many seem to want to declare solved while Joe sees the discrepancies and continues to investigate.  The landscape is such a fundamental part of the book and describing Wyoming issues are important plot detail.  Really interesting and riveting.  Lots of books to go and the upside is I can share with my husband and when done there's a TV series.




Come Join Us
 at
To Read about Other Bloggers' Knitting and 📚 Reading
    



1 comment:

  1. That is going to be lovely, Elise! I like the two yarns held together very much!

    ReplyDelete