My Adventures in Knitting, truly my Yarn-escape!

Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Wednesday's Yarns - A Welcome Blanket





      I'm knitting a Welcome Blanket for an Immigrant.  The designer of the PussyHats Kat Coyle is now running a new effort to create blankets to give to Immigrants as a statement of love and support.  She says on Ravelry:


"The proposed border wall between the United States and Mexico is almost 2000 miles long. Imagine if the massive distance of this wall was re-conceptualized and re-contextualized not to divide, but to include. Instead of wall, a concrete line, to keep people out, what if lines of yarn became 3,500,640 yards of blankets to welcome people in?

     A welcome blanket is traditionally created to lovingly mark the arrival of a new person into the world. In the Welcome Blanket project, each handmade blanket is a physical manifestation of this celebration of new refugees and other immigrants: 'Welcome to the United States and your new life here! We are so glad you have arrived.'
     We want you to join us! Make a blanket and share your story as a gift to a new immigrant to the United States."


© Kat Coyle





Welcome Blanket website

Patterns for the blanket are found - Welcome Blanket Patterns 

and 

Ravelry pattern site - Come Together Blanket by Kat Coyle,

to look through other blankets check out - Welcome Blanket Project Gallery 

and join 

The Facebook group - Welcome Blanket (Facebook)


 



The blankets will be on display at the Smart Museum of Art in Chicago before distribution.





For a FAST Blanket!


     For my blanket, I'm using Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick And Quick Yarn in Fisherman and Cranberry.  It is a Super Bulky yarn instead of Bulky called for in the original pattern, so I use size 15 needles and the stitch count across diagonally is 35 when I switch to my contrast color. This makes for a faster knit.






The new Deadline for Exhibit and then distribution is November 4th.  (There is also a Mid-December deadline for just distribution).





     My reading world has reverted back to light fantasy Romance for the moment.  I started with Lynn Kurland's Stars in Your Eyes  last week and when I finished I couldn't return to my WWII book just yet.  The world itself, our news, is so hard, I just need some soft fantasy and time travel, and Lynn Kurland is one of my favorite authors for that after Diana Gabaldon.  This week I grabbed a book I read 3 years ago Roses in Moonlight.  I'm might be tempted to re-read all her books.  But it seems most I have in storage.  So I might go back to the used bookstore for them.  I have a great store I can turn in books and get a used book for $2.  I have an account there and a running tab of credit.  I've learned to give up my books as I read them unless they're a favorite or historical, but Kurland's I've never given up!.



Come join us for Unraveled Wednesday.




2 comments: