My Adventures in Knitting, truly my Yarn-escape!

Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Wednesday's Yarn Along - Arab/American Syrian Socks


Today I'm sharing with Ginny at her "Small Things" blog; 
come join me and share what you are reading and knitting in "Yarn Along".




     I've been listening to the audio of the book "House of Stone" by Anthony Shadid for "Our Knitting Roots Book Club" ( Facebook) by Donna Druchunas.  In Ravelry it's called March Bookclub: House of Stone Discussion.  I love listening to the book about a reporter's return to his ancestral home in Lebanon and rebuilding it.  He mixes his story, with the story of his ancestors and the story of the region.  Listening especially to the audio is special because of the words of the region and the lilting way the author writes.  It's a real treat to knit and listen.




     I swatched for the Arab/American Socks, cheating because I'm doing a lot now with knitting hats for the March for Science.  I'm also in pain, I just had to cut the work down to something simple to get it at least done.  I'm supposed to swatch in the round, but hopefully I'm all good, the stitches per inch just right.  Also because I cheated and did it flat, I also got my design wrong at the yellow part, but it did give me a general idea of what my colors will look like together.




     Come join me if you are inclined at "The Resistance Knitters"a new Facebook group I created to encourage each other in the journey of protest.  Historically this is a long drawn out process, not an overnight success story (even though there will be good, uplifting moments like The Women's March).  I studied History and International Studies and I post a lot of news items and commentators and also knitting patterns for marches.   Quotes, books to read, and uplifting thoughts.  It's a place to post, and share what you're doing but also discuss the politics of the day.  And yes we're very Liberal.  I will not make rules, I ask for polite discourse and to be kind.  Anyone is welcome as long as we respect each other.





No comments:

Post a Comment