My Adventures in Knitting, truly my Yarn-escape!

Thursday, April 7, 2016

Technique Thursday- Chinese Waves Scarf













I found the Chinese Wave stitch one weekend when I was searching for a relatively easy stitch that could be mindless be done and I've fallen in love with this one. It's very rythmic to work on and satisfying once you get a hang of the pattern repeats and tale-tell signs of where you are so you don't lose your place in the pattern.  Beautiful, easy and functional- it's thick and soft and will do up nicely for scarves with no curling at the edges. So I'm creating a design called The Waves Scarf.


The Chinese Waves stitch-
A fairly easy stitch which is a variation of the Garter stitch- Knits and slipping stitches- that's about it. When you slip a stitch it's up to you whether you do it purl-wise or knit-wise, as long as the yarn is held to the back (for the loops of the waves). Slipping knitwise creates a twist in the stitch and creates a tighter, denser fabric. I opted for the purlwise slip finding it easy and fun (remember to keep the yarn in back!).

                
                                                          Chinese Waves Stitch
Cast any odd number on stitches on, for this scarf I did 21 on a #15 needle:
Row 1- Knit all Stitches
Row 2- Knit 1, * slip 1, knit 1; repeat from* to end
Row 3- Knit all stitches
Row 4- Knit 2, *slip 1, knit 1; repeat from* to last stitch, knit 1
Repeat all rows for stitch.

                                                       
  
To make this scarf I used a leftover skein of Red Heart Boutique Unforgettable Yarn in a forgotten color!  The wrapper is unfound and I can't seem to make a match.  It actually is a purple yarn with dark blues throughout it, but my tablet turns it blue.  It's pretty in the pictures and real life -just very different.  I'm almost done with my bit of skein and I saw a green and slightly purple version of this yarn at Walmart and I'm thinking of ending it in a different colour- so half or 1/3 is done in one purply yarn and the rest in that lovely almost olive green.  


This scarf is knitted on size 15 needles and the yarn is described as weight category 4, which is worsted; but it feels a bit bulkier than that to me.  







When knitting the Chinese Waves Stitch you need to do a repeat of knit and two different rows of slipped stitches.  One starts with 2 knits first and the other one knit.  So the pattern is staggered.



  A few hints on the road knitting this I have found out a few things.  First, keep your stitches relatively loose. You are continually creating a loop on one side and a lovely lofty material, By keeping it loose it will have a nice thick, springy feel and not too hard texture.  



When knitting- the loop side is actually the side you are doing the knit stitch (kinda freeing the loops you created the previous row by slipping stitches and knitting).  Also if you knit 5 or 6 stitches into you slip row and then turn the piece and look on the other side- if you look carefully- there are slips being created over a short knit row below.  If you see another sweeping loop underneath you are repeating your previous slip row and you need to stagger the rows!  So if you started with one knit then slip, back up and do two knits first, then the slip.  And the reverse is true.  It just isn't a regular pattern to the eye and seeing tell-tale signs to where you are really helps.  This I learned from ripping out a whole evening while watching a show with my husband. Yes, it can be mindless after you learn what you are seeing.  Unless you have a better memory than I do.  When I want a mindless knit- I'm not kidding.  Now that I've got the rhythm and the mistakes down it's a more mindless knit! 

   

           


      

No comments:

Post a Comment