My Adventures in Knitting, truly my Yarn-escape!

Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Fisherman's Rib Scarf and "John Adams"





     In between knitting other projects I love grabbing my Fisherman's Rib Scarf for my husband.  A great squishy knit that grows fast.  I love the texture that is created by just knitting into the stitch below your normal stitch knitted into.  A rib of Knit below and Purl, that's it; with plain knits on each end.  The ultimate of mindless knit for Zen knitting.  It's amazingly thick, almost an inch.




     The yarn is simply Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick And Quick in Kale.  While this would knit up in expensive wool and be wonderful, the Wool-Ease creates a nice texture, is soft and is washable.  I'm debating on getting some fancy white wool or simply a cream Wool-Ease for a wider scarf for myself and I'm leaning towards going with Wool-ease.  Lion's Brand must be one of the most popular brands for local supermarket craft stores.  And I've enjoyed using it over the years.  Another project I did several years ago and produced huge cowls that could double as snoods is The Gathering.  It takes 2 skeins of Wool-Ease Thick and Quick, knitted together on #50 needles.  Just be aware of the color Barley (which is the featured color) because it has flecks of plastic throughout it.  Looks great but it's scratchy, to me.  Now I look carefully at the yarn to make sure the contrasting colors aren't minuscule threads of plastic.  Lots of colors are just wonderfully soft.  The yarn is %80 Acrylic/%20 Wool.

 © Kalurah Hudson



     Maximizing my knitting I've been listening to the audio of "John Adams" by David McCullough.  A bestselling Pulitzer Prize-winning biography of John Adams who was a United States founding father and the second president. 




     Published in 2001, I have literally wanted to read it since then, but I've never gotten around to reading it or other historical books I've intended to.  Now that I have Audible I have found listening to these books really helpful.  I start in the late morning and regrettably turn it off for my bath at night (figuring my brain better have a break).  I back up often when I don't get it and I find I believe I'm learning even more from listening.  But I still want to get the book and read it again.  The Revolutionary period has never really captured my passion.  I majored in history and I love it but I never was enthusiastic about the history of the founding and fight for our country.  Now this work brings it alive through the many writings of John Adams.  Many of his letters are to his wife Abigail, who he was separated from many years as he served his country from Philadelphia to overseas.


John Trumbull's The Declaration of Independence, July 4, 1776, commissioned in 1817 (the actual signing took place over many months and this painting was a commemoration, but not a factual representation. Details - "This Painting Is Probably How You Imagine the Original Fourth of July. Here's What's Wrong With It" ).


      I'm up to so far just past the vote on the Declaration of Independence in Philadelphia and at the same time the British fleet with 32,000 troops have arrived in New York Harbor.  The Americans have maybe 20,000 troops but Washington writes it is more close to 9,000.  I find myself cheering on as the first troops start from Philidelphia to New Jersey after The Declaration of Independence is announced.  Huzza!, I say.  I'm getting into the spirit of this and appreciating my own country more.


My Elisabeth is on the right. :)
Creating Progress: Stitch & Chat 
Join us for light refreshments on Saturday 1/19 from 12-2pm at the Old Barracks Museum. Bring a project, join the conversation, and talk about women’s contributions past, present and future. "Stitch & Chat" Event page on FB
     For a taste of the real Colonial times there is a "Stitch and Chat" planned at Old Barracks Museum in Trenton, N.J. this Saturday, January 19th from 12 - 2 PM (right next to The Woman's March in Trenton, so you can do both).  My daughter Elisabeth is hosting the event and is a Historical Interpreter there.  She hand sews by needle and thread, employing techniques of the Colonial period for all her garments and also knits her socks and makes replicated silk knitted pinballs on size 0000 needles for sale on her Etsy site - www.ThymeUntangled.etsy.com.  





Come Join Us at Unraveled Wednesday








3 comments:

  1. Love the squishy scarf. I might need to grab some of that wool

    ReplyDelete
  2. I listened to John Adams some time ago and I must say, it is my favorite McCullough book. I fell in love with John and Abigail and I am profoundly grateful for their amazing work in shaping this nation!

    Nice cold January knitting as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your January knitting looks just right for winter. I too have never been attracted to the Revolutionary War period. I have always admired Abigail Adams though. And audio history books are helpful for me.

    ReplyDelete